Sunday, November 7, 2010

Making a Difference

One thing that I have always felt strongly about is making a difference, whether it be in the town I live in, at work, or through out the world. I can only hope I am alive when the entire world becomes a better one, after positive change has overcome us all.

Something that keeps me pushing for my degree is the fact that I will be able to make a difference in a large way with it. The entire point of the engineering field is to create solutions and innovation in order to better the lives of people. There is a great organization, IRD (International Relief & Development). I was made aware of it earlier this year and the more I read about it the more I want to be apart of what they are doing. I know with my degree I will have the opportunity to actually do that, become a part of something that is truly making a difference in the world.

I have been reading this book called The Tipping Point. It is really quite interesting. I have began to see things in a different way. It is actually an amazing concept how somethings catch on and become "the thing to do" or "a must have" and others don't. This book is great at explaining and helping understand why and how this happens. I feel change is something that needs to happen... Compassion is something that needs to become a large part of world society and every day practice. Now figuring out how to make that the next big thing that sticks is a great challenge.

I haven't figured out what it is that motivates people to do things for others. I try to get people to volunteer and help with things that benefit those who are less fortunate. It is a very difficult task actually, to get people to take time out of their day to do something that benefits someone else. I am trying very hard to understand why there is the lack of interest in helping others; why people consider another's problems as not their own. By this I mean people who say, "it doesn't directly affect me, why should I care?" or "sounds like a personal problem, not mine", when they see or hear of someone suffering. People are dying every day, starving, being prosecuted, and suffering! How can another person be so dismissive of this? Why doesn't every single human want to do something about it? Why aren't we doing something about it??

I know I have no right or reason to complain about my life. I have been very fortunate to have been born into a family that cares and was able to take care of me. I am very lucky to have the opportunity to work and go to an institute of higher education. I am also fortunate to have the ability to make a difference. I am not going to let it go to waste either...

If anyone is reading this that means you have access to a computer... You are already sitting in a better position than about 80% of the world's population. That also means you have the ability to make a difference, whether it is at work, school, the community, or just at home. You can start small... Just a change in attitude goes a long way so smile, pick up some trash, help someone with groceries in the parking lot of a store, give blood, volunteer at a shelter. There are too many things that need to be and can be done to positively effect the world.

I have seen a show on tv where do different social experiments. It is appalling to watch how so many people will allow someone else to suffer and never say a word or lend a helping hand. I can only hope that this show helps bring awareness to people, and helps people to realize they have a voice and an opportunity to make a difference.

This is something I will go on and on about because it is so important to me. I know I am not anywhere near perfect in anyway. I am definitely not any kind of saint. I know that I am not worried about having a roof over my head or food to eat or clean water to drink... I have all the necessities and more. This is why I also know I have a responsibility to my fellow human beings to do what I can to help them have the same piece of mind. I don't think anyone should have to worry if they will survive another day because they don't even have access to the basic necessities to live.

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world."
~Anne Frank

"While earning your daily bread, be sure you share a slice with those less fortunate."
~Quoted in P.S. I Love You, compiled by H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

Michael Jackson's songs, "Man in the Mirror" and "We are the World" are two songs that I think everyone should know the lyrics, and not only listen, but actually hear the message...

No comments:

Post a Comment